So today I was lucky enough to be in London while the AA degree was still on. It's terrible but when I began architecture or really before even then, during the application process, I had no idea who the AA were. To me they sounded like a vocational option, something you did if you didn't want to go to uni or something similar to an art foundation. How wrong I was... If anything though that says a lot about architecture in general which often fails to engage or explain itself to the general public, like ignorant 16 year old me, but anyway that's a whole different thing. Now I look towards the AA constantly for inspiration and simply if I'm honest, how to make it more valid, interesting and fun.
| example of process and 'final' images and models providing a brilliant and beautiful insight into the work |
Looking around it is clear the school is in touch with the art and media of the world today. I enjoyed how inclusive it was when referencing not just artists but film and television too. These are easily dismissed by more 'conventional' schools and something I wish more tutors at my uni would recognize (although I'd say a lot try). As a result the graphics and presentation were engaging, sometimes humorous and more often then not oddly beautiful as they began to replicate styles as seen on retro video gaming or simply some sort of candied consumerist good. As my friend put it, it was an almost childish creativity in the best possible way.
| we both agreed this was definitely a homage to roller-coaster tycoon |
The best thing about the exhibition though is the celebration of process. Nothing felt contrived or forced. The school seems really good at showing off it's students investigations, something I think other schools fail to do in these exhibitions.
So ultimately I came out of this show feeling optimistic about architecture. I liked how cohesive the school felt too. By that I mean it never felt as though any of the separate units were in direct competition but rather just trying out another side to something quite similar. It also didn't seem like the students were forced into one style at all but rather that they were all just guided really well as they worked at something it appeared they enjoyed. Simply, the atmosphere was perfectly chilled. I liked the AA degree show, it wasn't as inventive or 'out there' as I thought it would be but it was certainly good at what it did and leaves you feeling inspired to get making and doing.