Friday, 22 June 2012

Warsaw


I might be wrong, but I don't think a lot of people would expect Warsaw to be an example of beautiful city; not the parts that I like anyway. The wide boulevards, the repeated white Scandinavian, aalvo or even adolf loos like buildings;It's so expansive but without being daunting. Instead everything is clearly set out and strangely grand. 


 I think it has something to do with travelling around Eastern Europe from a young age. I just have a weird love of communist architecture despite all it's obvious flaws.

Normally large roads seem destructive, unnatural and intrusive, but here they're just part of the cityscape and not as difficult to cross as you'd expect. As a result your eye is drawn down a vast expanse and everything seems all the more impressive.



The concrete tower blocks too somehow set against the trees and streets just seem to work. The classic whites and beiges = rational, the heavy stone facades=image of protection from harsh conditons of snow/wind.
The whole time I was there I was also weirdly reminded of the scene in Zurich in the Bourne Identity too. 

It all seems very 1930s 40s, and then a bit communist, all things I think people normally associate with moody and severe tastes. Perhaps I've been taken in by the romance of war films, but I think these building's deserve more respect then they normally receive. Despite their flaws they give the city a unique and special character.