Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Lucian Freud

photos via http://brent-goodman.blogspot.com and by David Dawson.
Lucian Freud was one of my favourite go to artists at A-level. By looking at his work I began to appreciate tracing out the contours of faces and bodies in thick paint, looking at the colour graduation of skin and appreciating its flow and I began to enjoy painting. It's sad he's dead and I hope that others will look to him as well as an example of beautiful figurative painting. Here's a ton of pictures of his work and him painting (David Dawson's).



A picture named freud.jpg














Quotes:
-”The longer you look at an object, the more abstract it becomes, and, ironically, the more real”.
-” I want paint to work as flesh, I know my idea of portraiture came from dissatisfaction with portraits that resembled people. I would wish my portraits to be of the people, not like them. Not having to look at the sitter, being them. As far as I am concerned, the paint is the person. I want it to work for me just as the flesh does.

- Lucian Freud


mottled floor










Girl with a White Dog, 1951-1952, Lucian Freud wallpaper